- Put the brisket into a large zip-top bag. Add all the rest of the ingredients to the bag. Seal the bag and mix well to evenly distribute the salt and spices.
- Put the bag into the fridge for 5-7 days. Every day or so, take it out of the fridge and mix it up a bit. You will notice the dry rub will become more of a liquid marinade after a few days.
- Remove the corned beef from the bag and rinse it well in the sink. Don’t worry, plenty of flavor has permeated the meat by this point. If you do not rinse it, the final product will be way too salty.
- Put the corned beef into a pot and cover with water. Bring to a simmer, cover and simmer for about 4 hours until tender.
- Remove from heat, let rest for 10 minutes, then slice thin against the grain.
Day 2: Make the sauerkraut