This Sandwich Mash-up is Inspired by the Opening of Red Sox Season
April in Boston means opening day, and once baseball season starts, so do the hot dog cravings. I have always been a big Red Sox fan, but living on Queensberry street during the 2013 championship season brought my fan level to new heights and also brought my hot dog obsession to the next level. During home games, it was easy for me to walk out my door, wander over to Lansdowne, and grab a dog from the nearest street vendor. It was always such a rush to hear the crowd and see all the excited people so close to where I lived!
While I don’t live in the Fens anymore, I do make it out there as often as possible to check out all the amazing restaurants. Citizen, Hojoko, Tiger Mama, and Sweet Cheeks just to name a few. Soloniki is a new Greek offering from the Jody Adams team. It just opened, and it inspired me to combine the staple Greek dish, the gyro, with one of those famous Fenway Franks!
- Mix the yogurt with the parsley, minced cucumber, lemon juice, garlic, and some salt and pepper to taste. Mix well and allow to sit in the fridge for at least an hour to come together.
- Mix the tomato, onion, and larger cut cucumber in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Grill or sear your hot dogs until hot in the center and browned well on the outside.
- Meanwhile, put the pita onto the grill for a minute on each side to warm it up and make it pliable (or warm in oven if not using a grill).
- Build the gyro starting with the pita and putting the hot dog on top. Add the tomato salad and top with yogurt sauce (aka: tzatziki).
- Roll the dogs up using some aluminum foil to help them hold their shape.